Phenomenal. Stimulating. Creative. Touching. Conceptual. Emotive. Colorful. Enticing. Luring. Exotic. Beautiful. Surreal. Groundbreaking. Mysterious. Futuristic. Innovative.
Thought provoking. Powerful storytelling. I’m toasting with you, Kanye.
Phoenix: “Can I ask you a question?’
Ye: “Of course babe”
Phoenix: “All of the statues that we see, where do you think they came from?”
Ye: “I think that artists carved them… years and years ago”
Phoenix: “No, they are Phoenix turned to stone”
Ye: Laughing. “Baby… They”
Phoenix: “They are Phoenix turned to stone. Do you know what I hate most about your world? Anything that is different you try to change. You try to tear it down. You rip the wings off the Phoenix and they turn to stone. And if I don’t burn, I will turn to stone.”
Ye: “What do you mean burn?”
Phoenix: “If I don’t burn, I can’t go back to my world.”
Me thinking out loud:
- How many times before did the Phoenix reincarnate before meeting Kanye? How/Where was she before meeting Ye?
- The news channel interpreting the Phoenix as a comet is perfect representation of a media brand giving false information to the public because they want to be the first to announce the ‘news’.
- Is Kanye running away or to the Phoenix in the last scene?
- How beautiful is the Phoenix? Selita Ebanks.
- I thought the typeface Kanye used on the G.O.O.D. Fridays tracks page would have been used for at least the headers in the end credits. Instead, all Helvetica. Mr. branding man, wah gwan?
- The MJ tribute scene is epic. Even the Phoenix species knew about Michael Jackson. And KKK caps have been redefined. The video’s reappropriation of them in red and associated with MJ will for surely be positively, subliminally influential.
- Power of the pause. Silence used so effectively.
- I wonder if Ye’s pants ripped at all, in both the opening and closing scenes? His skinnies were pretty tight.
(A friend’s words: With proper tailoring, Kanye could run the NYC marathon in those pants. I wouldn’t want to be caught in a life threatening situation wearing anything else.” Classic.)
- As I revisit scenes, I see more and more. The attention to detail is much respected. I’m sure plenty more thoughts will come to mind as I play, rewind, fast forward and repeat. I’m still digesting the depth and creativity.
- And ‘Who will survive in America?’
RUNAWAY Directed by: Kanye West, Written by: Hype Williams, Art directed by: Vanessa Beecroft, Costume design by: Phillip Lim & martin Izquierdo, Choreography: Yemi Akinyemi and please check out all other shoutouts at the end of the video. Much respect to the team who worked on this. Stunned.